Monday, October 24, 2011

Columbia Gorge Half-Marathon

Yesterday, Phil and I ran the Columbia Gorge Half-Marathon.  It is dubbed as being the most scenic marathon in the country.  And let me tell you... it didn't disappoint.




It also didn't disappoint in the hills.  Pretty sure after 2 miles, I looked at Phil and said, "This is hard" in kind of a whiny voice.  And near the end, you come across a pedestrian bridge and you can see the finish line... and they route you AWAY from it to do another loop.  Mean.  At that point, I wanted to sit down right there and give up.  But I didn't.  Hooray for me.

I started off the race with kind of a outlook on it.  I knew it was going to be hard and so everytime I had to run uphill, I felt like couldn't run.  And everytime I ran downhill, I knew I would have to trun around and run uphill, so I felt like I couldn't do it.  Excellent attitude.


That's me running in the blue.

But I realized about half-way, why my attitude was so bad:

We signed up for this race in March/April.  After we started training, we got bad news, after bad news, a little good news, more life stress.  Possible cancer bug-bite.  Work stress.  Life stress (which I am not ready to get into yet but if we are close, odds are you know about it).  A little hope.  Lump in the neck.  Maybe cancerous lump in the neck.  Still don't know about lump in the neck.

And while I should have been training, my thyroid tanked and I had a hard time sitting up.  I wasn't able to train.  I got in some runs when I could, but it wasn't nearly where it should have been.

I wasn't prepared for the race, and I wasn't prepared for the life stress I have had thrown my way.  And I have kind of had it with all the uphill stuff.



I am hoping that this race has book-ended some uphill challenges I have had recently.  That is the end in a chapter of hardships.  So I ran (and walked) hoping this would be the end of that hard chapter.  And that I will be able to move forward into more of a normal newly-married-26-year-old life where I can plan dinner parties and get cocktails with my friends or something.



We finished JUST over the goal I had set.  By seriously less than 2 minutes over.  SO CLOSE.  We are looking for another race in the next couple of months.  The race was beautiful and it was such a wonderful experience to run it with my husband and have him encourage me along the way.  It is funny because before the race I was pumping Phil up, telling him he could do it.  And during the race, he was the one encouraging me.  Good team.



5 comments:

  1. oh wow.

    gorgeous photos and perfect analogy!

    awesome...very jealous!!!

    hope you aren't toooo sore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job -- the races where you don't have time to focus on training are tough. But add in the life stuff and sometimes it seems impossible. But way to be on finishing & being committed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl. Just found your blog. If you have time I would love for you to check out my Motivate Me Monday link up and see if you would like to participate. Its all things health and fitness.
    thanks
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well done! I couldn't even run a tenth marathon let alone half.

    Although with such amazing scenery there would be more chance of me managing. That beats the treadmill in the gym about a gazillion times!

    Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING

    http://iwasanuglyduckling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary