Saturday, October 15, 2011

Work for a living

Yesterday morning, my boss (aka my father) came into my office to tell me I needed to identify drainage basins for my water quality design on an apartment complex we are doing by Monday morning. Basically, I have a day and a half's worth of work to do in half a day.

Now, I have made a point of saying I will not work weekends. Maybe occasionally if I really need to but in general, I am not married to my job. I think this is hard for my dad to understand since he works like 80 hours a week. So because I had this deadline, I had two options: work like crazy to finish by the end of the day or work this weekend. I decided to kick it into high gear.




Don't you like my super old engineering tools? In case you were wondering, this is called a planimeter. It measures areas. I like my engineering old school.

So I skip my lunch, and work like a made woman. It took my five and a half hours but I got it all done. I take the plan out to show the cad tech so he can start drawing it up on Monday and this is when he informs me that they changed the layout and so my whole basin design will change.

Yeah that crap ain't happening.

Well maybe it will. I won't know until sometime Monday if I have to redo all that work. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled. I especially liked how they made the change while I was doing my calcs and NO ONE TOLD ME!

Whatever. Definitely time for the weekend.



Love, Mrs. Janney

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for kicking it into high gear! I love your old engineering tool! My dad and sister are both engineers and this looks familiar! That said, boo on finding out things changed after all that time...I hope come Monday you won't have to do it over! Enjoy your weekend and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary