Sunday, December 4, 2011

Here's an update

I have been behind on my posting... bad blogger.  But I kind of think I have a good reason.  I have had things I wanted to write about and then I forgot.  So I guess for now I will give an update.

I feel like I have spent so much time on the phone the last few weeks.  I got lucky and was able to get in to see the surgeon this last Friday instead of next Thursday.  She had the pathologist at OHSU look at the biopsy slides and give his opinion.  He said that he thinks the nodules are benign.  The surgeon said I could just wait and see what happens with the nodules and have more biopsies done to see if things change or I could have half of my thyroid removed, which would confirm whether the nodules are benign or not.


{The flowers my mother-in-law sent me.  It is an ornament... how cute is that?!?  Thank you, Faith!  I meant to tell you how much I liked them today but I forgot}

This is great news.  However, it is also the exact opposite of what my other doctor told me which is super confusing.  The surgeon said that there is probably a 15 to 20% chance that the nodules are cancerous.  Those odds are much better than what the endocrinologist first told me but still higher than I would like.

I have decided that I want to have surgery.  I am not necessarily a wait and see type of person.  Plus the wait and see strategy came with a lot of "buts."  It is scheduled for December 27th.  If it isn't cancer, it would be wonderful to find that out.  If it is cancer, I would rather find out now and take care of it before it has the chance to spread even more.

SO...

Surgery is in a few weeks.  And until then, I have some hope to hold on to.  I REALLY hope the OHSU pathologist is right.

It was kind of weird to hear good news.  I almost didn't know what to do with it.  It had been so long since I had heard anything good, I didn't know what to do with it.  After a few days, it has sunk in a little and I am feeling more hopeful.

How awesome would it be to start 2012 with some benign results?  I'd take it.  :)

In the meantime, I have been surrounded by love and support which I have really appreciated.  You people in my life are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary