Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I cooked FANCY

After longer than I really care to admit, *cough* like a month *cough*, I finally cooked again.  I have made a few smallish meals, but Monday night I went for it.

Beef Daube Provencal
from Cooking Light

2 teaspoons olive oil
12 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 cup red wine (I used 1 cup + a splash or two)
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup less-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chipped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Dash of ground cloves (which I completely forgot to put in)
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 bag of egg noodles

1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2.  Heat oil in a small Dutch oven over low heat.  Add garlic; cook 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally.  Remove garlic with a slotted spoon, and set aside.  Increase heat to medium-high.  Add the beef to the pan; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes, browning all sides of the beef.  Remove the beef from the pan.  Add the wine to the pan; bring to a boil, scraping the pan to loosen any remaning beef.  Add garlic, beef, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, carrot, onion, broth, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, cloves (assuming you don't forget like I did), bay leaf, thyme, rosemary.  Bring to a boil.

3.  Cover and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.  Take out bay leaf.  Serve over noodles.

Total calories: 367 per serving


It was SO GOOD!  Seriously...


I served it with a mixed green salad with walnuts and balsamic vinegrette and my mom's garlic toast (butter bread, sprinkle with grated parmesean cheese and garlic powder.  Then toast).

We were both silent the entire time we ate because we were too busy shoving food into our mouths.

Don't be fooled... it took FOREVER to cook.  We were both starving by the time it was ready.  But it was definitely worth the wait.  It is normal to eat at 9 o'clock at night, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary