Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Dentist

I've said it before, I'll say it again... I hate going to the dentist.

Not because of anything having to do with the dentist at all.  Although actually, having my teeth cleaned is not my favorite activity.  It's been almost a day since my cleaning and my teeth still hurt.  I hate going to the dentist because the last 3 times I have gone to the dentist, I have gotten bad health news within a few days afterwards.

Now, none of the health news has ANYTHING to do with my teeth (i.e. I got the results of my thyroid nodule biopsy the day after I went to the dentist last time).  I realize that this dentist anxiety is completely stupid and superstitious.  Nevertheless, it's there.

I have been trying to avoid going to the dentist for a couple of months now.  I kind of don't want to go when I have other doctors appointments in the same month.  Since the summer is when I do my eye appointment, skin check, and annual plus I have my thyroid check-up in August, I was trying to not see the dentist until the fall.

Yesterday morning, I woke up to take my beloved Synthroid and Cytomel and when the water hit my tooth, I knew I could not avoid the dentist any longer. 

One of the best parts of the dentist appointment is the flossing conversation.  I had a new dentist this time, so he wasn't aware of my flossing-laziness.  So when the dentist asks if I floss everyday, my answer was simply, "No."  I'm not going to try and pretend like I do it every day.  I don't.

So the flossing lecture began.  About how I need to make a habit out of it.  It is really easy to do.  Blah blah blah.

That's when I said, "One thing at a time."  I'm just starting to get into taking pills multiple times a day and cope with the fact that this is my life and wrap my head around the fact that I have been through so much in such a short amount of time.  Plus I have PMS, so I can feel myself getting close to crying.

The sweet hygienist says, "She's had a rough year."  That's right!

My kind-hearted dentist replies, "Well, life happens and you're just going to have to keep these habits.  Even when life is going."

Are you kidding me?!?!  Can he not see the still very fresh and pick scar on my neck?  I didn't even shower yesterday morning.  I have a pile of clothes on the couch from Sunday that I still need to fold.  Phil and I have been trying to figure out what adjustments we need to make so he has enough time to finish his dissertation.  Plus we have the WONDERFUL added stresses of having basically one income and some awesome medical bills ala health insurance with a high deductible and out of pocket max.

This isn't normal life.

Flossing is pretty low on my list, Dr. Jerk-face, DMD. 

PLUS, he didn't do a neck check.  (Does your dentist check your neck?  They should.  ASK them to do it!)

Hopefully my dentist curse is over.  We'll see how my eye exam goes this afternoon. (fingers crossed!!)

13 comments:

  1. Ew. Get a new dentist. I don't like this guy. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything goes well for you this time!

    Of course he's right that good habits help through bad times, but there are definitely times in life when you should be off the hook for trying to form those habits. I'm all for coping only with the amount you can handle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many dentists out there, that I refuse to put up with any meanies. My hygienist LOVES to push the water pick and so I finally bought one just to shush her up. And I never ever ever use it. But when she asks if I have ever considered getting one, I can say YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the dentist either, and yours definitely sounds like he needs to develop a bit of tact. :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha you are so cute - i'm so sorry you hate the dentist! i hate it too, but i actually hate NOT flossing...it literally drives me nuts if i miss a night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dentist does the same flossing thing. but what is this neck check thing? Mine does a mouth/tongue check - never heard of a neck check?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So dentists are supposed to check your neck, what the hell.

    Your dentist can die, and leave you alone now.

    I hate the dentist. except one time my tooth abscessed and when he fixed it I said, "I know you probably don't believe me, but I really do love you." Talk about pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I hate going to the dentist because the last 3 times I have gone to the dentist, I have gotten bad health news within a few days afterwards." .....Oh my gosh, you are PHOEBE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are not alone in your sentiment, Mrs. Janney. A lot of people really develop some certain distaste for seeing a dentist. You did the right thing, though, with seeing a new dentist after you felt pain, even after a day of your last teeth cleaning. If you are still not satisfied with the service, you can always go find another one. That would be alright. Just as long as keep your teeth regularly checked.

    Ted Grimmer

    ReplyDelete
  10. We offer our patients the highest quality, custom dental treatment to meet their individual needs. It’s all about taking care of our patients like family and providing the highest quality of dental care. Don’t just take our word for it. Please make an appointment now to discover why we’re the most highly rated dentists within Santa Clarita, California.
    Emergency Dentist in Santa Clarita CA

    ReplyDelete

  11. Wefre devoted to making our patients feel comfortable and attractive in their smiles.
    It is why they look to us for dental problems.
    Therefs no reason to think that you must conceal your smile any longer since we will assist you in getting that beautiful, flawless smile youfve always dreamed of.
    Wefre happy to discuss your concerns. Our goal is to make your visit easy and comfortable.
    emergency dentist santa clarita

    ReplyDelete

  12. Wefre devoted to making our patients feel comfortable and attractive in their smiles. It is why they look to us for dental problems. Therefs no reason to think that you must conceal your smile any longer since we will assist you in getting that beautiful, flawless smile youfve always dreamed of.
    Wefre happy to discuss your concerns. Our goal is to make your visit easy and comfortable.
    dentist in santa clarita ca

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary