Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

Usually, I hate Valentine's Day.  It's partially because it never turned out the way movies and television told me it should.  And it is partially because my birthday is so close to it, that I have ALWAYS gotten the "combined" Valentine's Day/Birthday gift.

Combined event gifts suck, amiright?

Anyway... This year, I'm excited for Valentine's Day.  Why is this, you ask?  I will tell you why...

{Confession... I don't care to receive flowers anymore.  Some very kind people were nice enough to send me flowers when I first got cancer and when I had surgeries, but I found it really depressing when they died. Probably because I was so scared of dying.  I didn't care for the symbolism.  I know...I'm weird.}


Low expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about Phil.  Despite years of me telling him that I didn't want to celebrate Valentine's Day, he has always done something nice for me anyway.  The low expectations are ENTIRELY related to last year's Valentine's Day.

In case you want a refresher, here's the recap of last Valentine's Day.  And here's the post that qualified as my husband's gift.

So I'm thinking most things will trump having surgery and spending the evening in pain because the nurse never did get my anti-nausea pain so I could take my Vicodin.  Or almost throwing up from morphine (which would have really hurt the fresh neck wound).  Pretty sure.  Not that I didn't love getting to spend time with my parents, nephew, husband, and Rikkie (who came to visit me in the hospital), because that was great.  And I definitely felt loved.  But since I won't have to re-open my neck scar this year, I'm a happy camper.

Everyone asks if we have big plans for our Valentine's Day.  And we don't.  I think we will stay home, make Taco Salads, watching DVR'd episodes of Chopped, have some kind of chocolate dessert while playing with our pups and feeling our baby move.

Those plans kick last year's plans' ass.  Just another reminder of how far we've come in the last year.

Come to think of it... I can't think of anything I'd rather do for Valentine's Day.  :)


1 comment:

  1. what a difference a year can make. i think low key is nice on vday.

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary