Friday, March 29, 2013

Rockin' (recovered)

Labor day weekend, Phil and I had taken the dogs for a walk one Saturday morning.  On the way back, we stopped by a garage sale that was just around the corner from our house.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular at the time.  But I was kind of thrilled when I saw a glider rocking chair (without cushions).  I was kind of glad it didn't have cushions because used cushions would have creeped me out.  After talking with the owner, he said he would take $12 for it.

We bought it.  Then we went and got some foam and fabric and I made some new cushions.  I knew it would come in handy one day when we had a baby.  I could just recover the cushions and be good to go.



I found out I was pregnant 4 days later.

I think the rocking chair was a rather fortunate find.

When I was working on my novel during November, I spent a great deal of time in the rocking chair and I discovered something about it...  It wasn't that comfortable.  This was going to be a problem.  It needed WAY more cushioning on the bottom and some better back support.

Now I'm not a master seamstress.  Sure, I can sew a bit but I am NO WHERE near a professional.  I would LOVE to just buy some new cushions for the chair, but they are pretty expensive.  And since Phil's still in grad school and I own a business in a bad economy (read: pay cut), money is a little on the tight side.  That's one reason why we have been trying to do everything in the nursery ourselves.  Buying new cushions just wasn't something I wanted to spend $100+ on.

So I bought some fabric on clearance several months ago and set it aside.  I was dreading this project more than any other.  I don't know why.  I think because I knew it wouldn't turn out great.  And also because I hadn't totally figured out how to change the cushion pattern.  But I just needed to get it done and over with.

And I did.

Wednesday night, I decided I would just do it.  Of course, I had a helper:

{Drawing the patterns and cutting the fabric was not exactly comfortable or 
easy with the baby belly.  Thank goodness I had Cotton to hold the fabric down.}


I got most of it done Wednesday night and spent last night finishing the cushions, as well as making a neck pillow (to help me sleep in the chair) and a pillow for better back support.



Don't look at it too closely.  I'm not terribly thrilled with how it turned out.  But I think as it gets used, the cushion will wear well.  I do kind of love the back pillow though.  It is a slipcover, so it can be taken off and washing and it turned out almost exactly how I envisioned it.

It is MUCH more comfortable now (a definite must) and currently residing in its new home, the nursery.

That was my last BIG project!  Now I just have smaller projects to get the nursery all finished up.

4 comments:

  1. I think your project turned out perfect! It looks great! Good luck with your bundle of joy on the way!
    P.S. I love your blog and reading everything one of the blogs I check for update for for all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!!! You did a great job!! Have a great Easter weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! And I love the fabric on the pillows! Can't wait to see the whole nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rocker is stinkin' cute. I love how you act like whipping up a new cover is no big deal. That thing would take me WEEKS to do. And you did it in a day. And that pillow? Can I have one?? I love the red fringe!

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary